Focus and Scope
Since 1993, The Medieval Review (TMR; formerly the Bryn Mawr Medieval Review) has been publishing reviews of current work in all areas of Medieval Studies, a field it interprets as broadly as possible. The electronic medium allows for very rapid publication of reviews, and provides a computer searchable archive of past reviews, both of which are of great utility to scholars and students around the world. ISSN 1096-746X.
TMR operates as a moderated distribution list. Subscribers receive reviews as e-mail; TMR posts each review as soon as the editors have received and edited it. There is no paper TMR. Once posted, reviews are archived and available for viewing, searching, printing, etc. on this website (http://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/tmr/).
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
TMR's bylaws (adopted by the Executive Editor and the Editors, January, 2008)
A board of distinguished review editors assists the editors in finding reviewers for books. The editors welcome expressions of interest from authors and publishers wishing to submit review copies of books directly to TMR. Note that TMR does not publish reviews of books that we did not receive in our office, nor do we publish reviews that were not solicited by ourselves.
Please address any questions about TMR to the editors at TMRL@indiana.edu, or at the snail-mail address below:
The Medieval Review
The Medieval Studies Institute
Lindley Hall 201E
150 S Woodlawn Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7104
Authors who publish with The Medieval Review (TMR) agree to the following terms:
- By submitting to TMR, the author grants to TMR the non-exclusive right to reproduce, translate (as defined below), and/or distribute your submission worldwide in print and electronic format and in any medium, including but not limited to audio or video.
- The author agrees that TMR may, without changing the content, translate the submission to any medium or format for the purpose of preservation.
- The author agrees that TMR may keep more than one copy of this submission for purposes of security, back-up and preservation.
- The author represents that the submission is his/her original work, and that s/he has the right to grant the rights contained in this agreement. The author also represents that his/her submission does not, to the best of his/her knowledge, infringe upon anyone's copyright.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of TMR's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in TMR.
From 1993-1995, the Bryn Mawr Medieval Review was published at the University of Washington. From May, 1995-August, 2007, it was published at Western Michigan University, thanks to the generous support of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Medieval Institute, the Department of History, and the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1996, the journal's name was changed to The Medieval Review. From August 2007 to the present it has been published at Indiana University, Bloomington, thanks to the generous support of the Medieval Studies Institute and the College of Arts and Sciences.
The BMMR archive was initially hosted at the University of Virginia Libraries' gopher (!) site. In 1996, the archive was moved to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, under the auspices of what was eventually named the Scholarly Publishing Office at the University Library, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Since January, 2010, the archive has been hosted by IUScholarWorks at Indiana University.