The Journal of Economic Development in Higher Education is the journal of the University Economic Development Association (UEDA). The Journal is dedicated to the study of university-led economic development. It examines ways in which higher education fosters competitiveness through human capital formation; research and innovation; and quality-of-place strategies that make communities attractive places to live, work, operate businesses, and raise families.
Vol. 3 (2020): Journal of Economic Development in Higher Education
The Journal includes articles on new frameworks, theories, or concepts; data-driven research articles; program evaluations, qualitative or quantitative case studies and/or opinion pieces that highlight or analyze the role played by institutions of higher education* in:
- Promoting economic development, innovation, and entrepreneurship, especially through interdisciplinary initiatives and public-private partnerships;
- Improving the impact, reach, and applicability of the institution’s research—and improving the impact and reach of other strategic niches of expertise—to enhance institutional and regional competitiveness;
- Applying basic and applied research to solve an industry’s—or the region’s—most pressing challenges;
- Leveraging institutional research and other resources to accelerate business formation and growth, develop new products and services, and/or link local businesses to the global economy through foreign investment or trade;
- Engaging and linking elements of their region’s innovation ecosystem;
- Developing and implementing solutions to their region’s human capital and workforce needs;
- Facilitating access by various constituents to information or institutional resources; and
- Stewardship for vibrant regions:
- Innovative economies,
- Livable communities,
- Social inclusion, and
- Collaborative governance
The journal also seeks submissions addressing the theoretical underpinnings on exactly why and how university-led economic development benefits society.
* For the purposes of this journal, institutions of higher education include community colleges, 4-year colleges, universities, consortiums of these types of entities, or affiliated institutions with an economic development mission, to include university-hosted Small Business Development Center, business incubators, business accelerators, research and technology parks, etc.