Main Article Content
The present teaching activity was designed for a beginner level Spanish class to develop intercultural competence in the classroom. This activity aims to develop learners’ overall knowledge and foster their skills of interpreting and relating in regard to food, food habits, and cultural implications surrounding food from different cultures. We piloted this activity in 3 online courses through Zoom. The activity begins with a class discussion to identify the students’ native cultural norms and to explore what they know about other cultures prior to explicit instruction. Then, students are shown a video about the food culture in a different country to build their knowledge base. Finally, after watching the video, the students do both a personal reflection letter and a group reflection discussion which allows students to relate and the newly-learned information to their own culture and develop their intercultural competence. These reflections are compared to the initial discussion to assess the learners’ progress in developing their intercultural competence.
The Indiana University Linguistics Club Working Papers (the "Publisher") and Author(s) agree as follows.
1. Publication and Promotion: In consideration of the Publisher's agreement to publish the Work, Author hereby grants and assigns to Publisher the non-exclusive right to print, publish, reproduce, or distribute the Work throughout the world in all means of expression by any method known or hereafter developed, including electronic format. Author further grants Publisher the right to use Author's name in association with the Work in published form and in advertising and promotional materials.
2. Copyright: Copyright of the Work remains in the Author's name.
3. Prior Publication and Attribution: Author agrees not to publish the Work in print form prior to publication of the Work by the Publisher. Author agrees to notify IULCWP before publishing the Work elsewhere.
4. Author Representations: The Author represents and warrants that the Work: (a) is the Author's original Work and that the Author has full power to enter into this Agreement; (b) does not infringe the copyright or property of another; (c) contains no material that is obscene, libelous, or defamatory. Author shall indemnify and hold Publisher harmless against loss of expenses arising from breach of any such warranties.
5. Licensing and Reuse: Reuse of the published Work will be governed by a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (CC BY https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ ). This lets others remix, tweak, and build upon the Work non-commercially; although new works must acknowledge the original IULCWP publication and be non-commercial, they do not have to be licensed on the same terms.